HIGHLAND PARK RATEPAYERS ASSOCIATION
34th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Wednesday April 11, 2012 7:30 PM
2nd attempt – quorum met
Super Store Community Room, Tantallon
I. 730 pm Call to order
a. Introduction of directors and acting directors
II. Approval Minutes from 2011 Annual General Meeting
a. Motion to approve – Kelly Bush
i. Second Pamela Craig
III. Officer Nominations
a. Motion to elect Heather Perks as President for 1 year – Stephanie Adams
i. Second Heidie Firth
b. Motion to elect Kelly Bush as vice chair - Pamela Craig
i. Second Heather Perks
IV. Treasurer’s report
a. Motion to accept budget as corrected – Kelly Bush
i. Second JoeHan
V. Old business
Greater Hammonds Plains Residence association - Heather explained we need a second volunteer to represent Highland Park on the GHPRS to back fill for Stephanie Adams in case she is unable to attend. Barry Zwicker and Angela Thornhill volunteered.
Heather presented 2 quotes for landscaping around the new Highland Park signs.
Questions were taken and the budget adjusted to accommodate the quote from Kynock Resources Limited.
Discussion regarding the development of Timberlane Terrace. Heather Perks explained a residence survey was conducted and walking trails within the park were the most popular request. The directors are hoping we can work these request into any plan for development in that area. We had a general discussion regarding the possibilities and potential grant options to help pay for this multi year project. Funding for this year is laid out in the budget.
Speeding and road conditions in the park – concerns were raised about speeding on Hummingbird Lane. Residents were reminded to call 490-4000 (HRM) to register issues with the city.
VI. Additional Business
Spring Park clean up is set for June 8-9 in conjunction with clean Nova Scotia
Community Yard Sale set for June 16 – 17 (10am – 2 pm)
The directors are looking into family related activity for the park – an outdoor movie night has been suggested in the past and the directors will be looking into this.
A resident requested upgrades to the playground equipment on Sunnyview Terrace. Playground equipment upgrades are done by the city and on a priority basis. It was explained that the city did a recent upgrade to the park. It was mentioned that some of the playground equipment was potentially a safety concern. Residents reminded to call 490-4000(HRM) to register these issues. Additional upgrades can be considered in the residence association budget.
A request for signage for the ball park was made. The director will review this request.
A resident brought to our attention a Rockcliffe rental property which appears to be operating as a scrap yard. Guest speaker HRM Councillor Peter Lund was interested in this scrap yard operator as he believes he moved from another area within Hammonds Plains. The complainant was asked to register the issue with HRM by calling 490-4000 and Counselor Lund will be following up on the matter.
VII. Guest Speaker Counselor Peter Lund
Councillor Lund took questions and concerns about the quality of snow removal this year. Although the snow was light Councillor Lund said he had received many more complaints than last year. Councillor Lund asked if sand had been used on the roads in the subdivision – the consensus was that it was not or that very little had been used. He is having discussion with the HRM Winter Works Committee regarding the curbs and shoulder damage in the subdivision.
Multi year plan for HP Road has been designed by the North West Community Council. The plan includes widening the road where paving or resurfacing occurs, lighting, bike lanes and by-laws to address truck traffic on the road.
Stop lights are being installed at the corner of Glen Arbour and Hammonds Plans road – cost is being covered by the developer.
General discussion on the highway 101 interchange with connections to Hammonds Plains Road.
VII. Adjournment 9:04pm
Reminded everyone that in addition to our website: https://www.highlandparknews.ca/
HPRA is also on
Facebook: HIGHLAND PARK RA
· Sunday January 30, 2011
· 2:00 PM
· Tantallon Public Library
· Call to order (1410)
· Approval of Last Director’s Meeting Minutes
o Firth - Parker
· Chairperson’s Welcome
· Treasurer’s report
Olaf Berghaus, Gary Grant
Special resolution – Pam explained, regulations re: having two directors instead of paying auditor.
· Old business
o Citizens on Patrol (presented by Gordon Whitehead)
Christina introduced Mr. Whitehead
Tantallon Citizens on Patrol Association just got registered as an organization.
Currently there are approximately 19 members: They patrol based on two time periods
930 – 230 300 in the afternoon –
Residential - Watch for houses being cased or anything which seems out of ordinary, vehicles of suspicious nature etc., Plate numbers are sent to the RCMP
2000 -2400 or 1900-0100 Evening (teams decide how long the stay out)
Commercial business, churches, schools etc.
They operate under RCMP guidance, essentially serving as eyes and ears for police department. It’s a Neighbourhood Watch on wheels.
Teams are made up of two people and are non confrontational. They use police radios picked up at the station on which they can hear all police calls. Duties may include search and rescue and they also will watch for individuals\vehicles of interest to the police. They also provide general volunteer work for special events.
Training is provided
· Finger print/security clearance
· Basic training – on weekends different opportunities
· Agree to min time commitment (4 hours month) and one hour a month for meeting (3rd Wednesday of month 630 at RCMP)
Mr. Whitehead passed out brochure asked for volunteers, offered ride alongs and stated gas is reimbursed.
Hopefully there will be more participation now that COPS will be reimbursed for their fuel.
· City Watch
Phone list for emergency situations in your area – liaison with RCMP
More info on our web site
o Update on Timberlane Terrace (update by Heather Perks)
Land now belongs to HRM
Committee putting ideas together for land usage:
Heather, George and Stephanie will meet to discuss
Of course not too much money so they are looking into getting local business support.
o Update On Highland Park East Entrance Community Sign
Rob Petch reported the current sign is not repairable for less than 2000.00 and no guarantees the weather would not affect it again. A brief discussion was held regarding placing a band around the sign, based is drilled; Jeff Brown thinks we could get sign drilled gratuitous. Jeff asked if we were insured, we are not.
Heather proposed that we look at replacing the current sign
Second by Jeff Brown
o Parking facilities for Ballpark on Deepwood
Christina discussed the letter to Blair Blakeney (HRM), he will look at site and look to see where they can put extra parking.
o Update on Hammonds Plains Road concerns (street lighting, Northwood Intersection, maintenance)
Christina – North West Community Council asking them to address issues
Deferred until March
Mat Wynott - looked into rumour of old flashing light over Northwood – the province records show there was never a light there.
Christina –mentioned GHPCA taskforce and discussions with HRM
Olaf – mentioned Rockcliffe has same problem and needs to be recognized, its dark and no room to stand and wait for the bus.
Christina mentioned the GHPCA have asked for turning lane
Cllr. Lund – discussed traffic authority survey results
· Existing street lights have been upgraded
· Several new poles will be installed at Rockcliffe, Northwood and Yankee town Road.
Christina – mentioned there were no new poles at Grant Line Road
Cllr. Lund – Hammonds Plains Road is 2 feet narrower than Provincial standard.
Cllr. Lund. Metro Transit just completed survey results not out yet (safety etc).
Rob Petch – discussed an informal look at transit in our area based on other areas with Community Centers. We are only area with two centers and limited transit service. There is no way for teenagers to get out of subdivision – by transit. We do not have weekend service.
He stated that HRM has to stop looking at profitably in terms of dollars but instead in quality of life.
Cllr. Lund Metro Transit is trying to cut community transit. However the Councillors of the various areas were able to stop the cuts.
General Discussion around why we pay the bus tax but we don’t have the service. Heather Perks asked what we can do to support Councillor Lund in efforts to get better service. He suggested we take our issues to Christina who in turn should take them to North West Regional Council and eventual review by city staff.
o Communicating with our residents Email distribution list. We need to expand this. Do residents wish to have at least one paper copy of a newsletter (annual newsletter) , bulletin board
Christina mentioned no one wants to give out their email addresses perhaps for fear of getting spam and that we need to get hard copy out to residents once a year.
o Burning Issues
Christina discussed by-law regarding burning. There can be no burning within 75 feet of building. After Kingswood fire things came to fore front, hurricane Juan.
· New business
o Introduction of the Greater Hammonds Plains Communities Association (GHPCA) Hammonds Plains Area rate
o Charles P. Allen enhancements and how or if there will be an area rate for Highland Park residents
o Water Quality
4 houses with high uranium, who to have Reverse Osmosis Systems put in – how do we handle this?
Cllr Lund stated that Federal rules dictate water quality levels, acceptable levels have been lowered.
Mat Whynott told us the Province has done water quality study.
We will put the information on the web site.
Discussion about water table level going down in the subdivision and information re uranium - perhaps we need Halifax water? Cllr Lund – discussed priorities of the water commissions.
· Additional Business
Highland Park Rate Payers Association Annual General Meeting
|Date:||January 17th, 2010|
|Time:||Meeting commenced 7:05 pm|
|Attendees:||Christina Parker – Chair |
Heather Perks – Past Chair
Heidie Firth – Secretary
Christina welcomed group directors and began discussion regarding Association Committees Committees Five Committees in total were formed with a Director chosen to champion each.
Annual General Meeting was adjourned at 15:00 pm
Open Burning with Permit
Parking Issues at the Ballpark (Eastside Highland Park)
Keeping Highland Park clean
Residents and directors are reminded that HRM is responsible for the care and up-keep of these areas and may HRM at 490-4000 when issues arise.
Hammonds Plains Historical Committee Christina informed the group that a Hammonds Plains Historical Society is being formed. Anyone interested in finding out more about the group may contact Christina for details.
Meeting concluded at 8:40
|January 18, 2009|
|Attendees:||Heather Perks, Chairperson|
George Lyons, Treasurer
Tammy Rent, Secretary
Jeff Brown, Rhonda Brown, June Ross, Colleen Roy, Robert Sager, Jennifer Fraser, Nadine Tanner, Douglas Tanner, Mike Beighaus, John Marshall (Past Chairperson), Christina Parker, Sean Parker
|Proxies From:||Eugene Fraser, Stephanie Adams, Todd Adams, Stephanie Comeau, Jason Beaver, Bill Ross, Linda Marshall, June Close, Doug Close, Heidie Firth|
|Guests:||Peter Lund, Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) Councillor|